Penarth Funeral Directors Logo

Tell Us Once

After registering the death, you can use the Tell Us Once service to notify several different local government agencies and council departments all at once. The Registrar will offer to do this for you. To make sure they pass on the right information it will help if you bring along with you the following information about the person who has died:

  • Their National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving
  • Their death certificate
  • Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number
  • Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth

They may also ask you for the contact details for:

  • Their next of kin
  • A surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • The person dealing with their estate

If you decide to use the Tell Us Once service, they will notify the following organisations on your behalf.

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension, Disability and Carers Service
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Overseas Health Team
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
  • War Pensions Scheme
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit & Working Tax Credit
  • Personal Taxation
  • Local Councils
  • Housing Benefit Office
  • Council Tax Benefit Office

The Tell Us Once service will also notify the following organisations if you request them to do so:

  • Local Councils
  • Council Housing
  • Council Tax
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badges
  • Adult Services
  • Children’s Services
  • Collection of outstanding payments for council services
  • Electoral services
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • Passport Service

You may also need to inform banks, building societies and utilities of the death.